Forming a lasting and meaningful relationship with the community is critical for a functioning population health partnership. The American Hospital Association's Health Research & Educational Trust recently released a report on small and rural hospitals' role in population health, which included 11 strategies for working with the local community to help ensure success.
- Encourage hospital leaders to serve on community boards.
- Provide community representation on hospital boards.
- Survey the community on the effectiveness of the partnership.
- Provide financial support to community groups.
- Develop joint ventures with the community.
- Provide outreach to the community to attract local volunteers.
- Share health data with the community.
- Develop a shared mission and vision for community health.
- Analyze patient feedback on population health programs.
- Develop focus groups that comprise members of the local community to gauge reactions to and opinions on various population health initiatives.
- Partner with other local health providers for care delivery (home health, prevention, post-acute care).
For more, go to www.hpoe.org/small-rural-partnerships.